Thursday, June 19, 2008

A Lovely Shade of Yellow

I was recently perusing one of the better nurseries in my area and happened upon this glorious blooming climbing rose. A big, puffy David Austin-like flower that was begging to be seen. It was a lovely shade of yellow -- ranging from a mid-tone for the new blooms, to a very pale cream for those with more age. It was the perfect shade as far as I am concerned. This is not one of those shouting out golden yellows that screams to be heard -- wanting to be planted with similar strong hues such as warm reds, and oranges, for example. But instead, it is a softer more understated color that works beautifully with white, purple and pinks. It's known as "Full Moon Rising " bred by Meilland International in France and grown and marketed by Star Roses in the U.S.

For those of you who may not be familiar...

"Meilland International SA is a family-owned rose growing business founded c. 1850 and is one of the most important of its' kind in the world. The business operates today out of Domaine de Saint André in Le Cannet-des-Maures, Le Luc en Provence, Var, France with braches all over the world."

Source Wikpedia

As much as I like this lovely yellow rose, the only problem is, -- it's hardy to a zone 6b and I just happen to live in a zone 5b.

Well, yo
u might wonder why I would purchase a rose that has a very good chance of dying in my less than temperate Maine winter. I've recently asked myself the same question. My answer is -- I'm going to try to defy the odds. I will protect it, I will bury it and I will do what it takes to let it survive. You see, we zone 5ers have more limited options when it comes to roses and the like. We learn to adapt. I don't mind, after all, if my 20' (of course mine isn't this big) rose, is just 4 feet tall every year. If I can just make it live - I'll feel like I've accomplished something.
Now...I just find a place to put it!

More Information on Full Moon Rising

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This looks like a great rose. When you find just the protected spot for it, you should be able to enjoy it for many seasons.

The Diva said...

Beautiful thoughts on your new rose. Do you have any of the Canadian Explorer series? I have one although I'm much further south. My friends close to the northern border like these. Also, some of Dr. Griffith Buck's roses go to zone 5.

As you can see, I love roses too. I found you on Blotanical.

Sarah said...

Thanks for your comment. I'm still searching for that perfect place...need to find it soon.

Sarah said...

Hi Dee

I'm aware of the Canadian Explorer series but I don't have any as of yet. I have roses that do well here.. Meidiland Cherry Shrub, Aloha climbing rose, Wild Blue Yonder, and Iceberg are some that I have growing..

I am interested in learning more about Dr. Griffith Buck's roses as I am not familiar with these...thanks for the heads up!